Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Whole 30 - Day 1

Whole 30 - Day 1


I kicked off last year with my veggie detox which was slightly short of being an epic fail because I was sooooo hungry.  I did a mid-year juice cleanse which reset my taste buds but still left my stomach growling.  To kick of 2013, I've decided to try the Whole 30 which is essentially a nutritional reset focused on eating real food and cutting out sugars, artificial sweeteners, and processed junk.  This is just what I need after a few slips off the wagon during the holidays.

Today started off with a great Whole 30-ish breakfast of eggs, veggies, a small salad, grapefruit, and green tea (no honey!)  It was filling and satisfying.
However, lunch presented a challenge.  We were invited to a friend's house for a New Year's lunch/dinner get together.  I was starting to get a little hungry before we left the house so I had a couple of teaspoons of coconut butter so I would not be ravenous.  I thought we would only be there for an hour or two and I could eat when I returned home if necessary.

The first test came when I was asked to taste the punch and tea for sweetness.  Since I don't typically make those drinks, I was able to ask a good friend to step in as the taste tester and she was nice enough to oblige.

We ended up visiting with my friend for several hours so I survived the day by eating grilled meat and greens.  Since I did not marinate the meat or season the greens, I cannot be sure they were fully Whole 30 compliant but I did the best I could.

When we came home at around 7pm, I wasn't craving a full dinner but wanted a snack before bed so I ate an apple, organic almond butter, and another small salad.  Day 1 done!

No comments:

Post a Comment